SRT Logo 180
Blue
orange
yellow

que rico

The 2010 AEIII class overdubs the Que Rico Mambo 'vocalise'.
The full video is in the "AEIII" class link below.

Classes

Below are the seven 'technical' courses that teach the knowledge and skills of the audio professionals. Click the header of each class to learn more about that class and to experience video and audio from the courses

Audio Engineering I
An intensive look at aspects related to the capture of acoustic sound, the transduction of that sound to electric signal, and passage through various signal paths. Topics covered include: Acoustic Sound Properties, Microphones, Cables, Jacks and Plugs, Mixers, EQ, Signal Flow and Gain Staging, Insert and Bus routings and standard usage. Audio Engineering aural training is also begun at this level.

Prerequisite: None
Very demanding class

No music reading required

MIDI I
In this course, sound starts 'inside the box' and is brought outward to the listener. Topics include: Principles of electronic oriented sound, Electronic music history, MIDI basics, Terms and gear, Synthesizer programming, Sequencing and more.

Required one-hour lab
Prerequisites: Knowledge of musical keyboard (piano), chords, melody, rhythms, etc
Basic music reading required

Audio Engineering II
With the basics of audio, electronic signals and DAW operation covered in AE I and MIDI I, this curriculum handles most all elements of studio recording in a hands on, creative way. Topics include decibels and digital audio,alignment levels, bus routings, compression, equalization and filter usage, reverb and delays, advanced aural training and more.

Required two-hour lab
Prerequisite: Audio Engineering 1 (MIDI highly recommended!)

Live Sound
A very demanding course of both hands on skills and detailed theory behind the design, set up, and implementation of a sound reinforcement system. A look at local venues and live sound issues and solutions as handled by the pros.

Required two-hour lab
Prerequisite: Audio Engineering I , AE II
Very demanding class

Audio Engineering III - Capstone Course
This being the final course in the program, students prepare projects for a portfolio displaying their audio engineering skills. In addition to their personal sessions, students work in teams on other sized projects, and are quizzed on 'common knowledge' information (and aural skills) that is drawn from all AE I, AE II, MIDI I, and Live Sound. Students that have completed Audio for Video at this time may also shoot and edit a music video for a related mixing project.

Required four-hour lab
Prerequisite: Audio Engineering I, Audio Engineering II, Live Sound, MIDI I

Audio for Video
A creative overview of concepts related to the combination of sound and picture in a non-linear environment. Topics and assignments include; Creation of sound and foley effects, scoring for preexisting video, video editing for effect, broadcast limitations, time code issues, music spotting and decision making.

Required one-hour lab
Prerequisite: Audio Engineering I and MIDI I

Legal Aspects of the Entertainment Industry
You've heard the horrors; time to find out the truth. How does the system of music business work and how can the legal issues surrounding the entertainment industry work for and against you. Topics include copyright, licencing, sampling issues, clearinghouses, performing rights organizations, and much more.

Prerequisite: None